The Queen’s Rowing clubs would be nothing without our dedicated athletes and volunteer coaches. With 30 senior athletes training frequently throughout the week, let us introduce the captains, committees and coaches that are the cogs to our rowing machine.
QUBBC Captain: Paddy Holden
QUBLBC Captain: Vikki Wallace
Lady Victoria Boat Club Captain: Rory McNamee
Mick Desmond (Queen’s Rowing High Performance Coach)
A native of Co. Cork, Mick started his rowing career with An Garda Siochana Boat club in Dublin in the late seventies and took up coaching there in 1983, taking crews to national titles and assisting in coaching crews to Henley Royal Regatta in the mid-eighties. He then joined Commercial Rowing Club in 1987 and coached Ireland’s first World Champion from there in 1991.
During the 1990’s Mick coached Irish crews to win medals at the senior World Championships. In 2010 he was instrumental in developing Three Castles Rowing Club in Blessington and coached beginners there before moving to Queen’s University Belfast. He managed the Irish Universities team at the World University championships in 2015 and since 2016, has coached the Academy and Elite Athlete programmes at QUB.
Trevor McKnight (Queen’s Rowing Club Development Officer)
A former Queen’s oarsman, Trevor McKnight recently took up the position of club development officer, following on from the position of Head Coach at the University of York and more recently Irish Senior Sculling Coach at the 2017 Home International Regatta.
Trevor’s rowing career began at The Royal Belfast Academical Institution. In 2005 he was stroke man in the first ever crew from ‘Inst’ to qualify and compete at the Henley Royal Regatta. Joining QUBBC in 2009 his successes at the club included 3 gold and 1 silver medal at the British University Championships as well quarter-finals in both the Temple and the Visitors competitions at Henley, in 2010 and 2012 respectively. In 2010 he also represented Great Britain in the 8+ at the European University Championships.
Returning now as Development Officer, Trevor is engineering a club structure that will create clear performance pathways from Novice level through to Senior rowing.
Intermediate Crew Coach
- Julie Lynch
Novice Crew Coaches
- Paddy Doherty
- Stuart Kelly
- Ewan Murray
- James Cook
- Christine Stewart
- Andy Wells
- Niall Moore
- Jason Greenwood
- Captain: Paddy Holden
- Vice Captain: Thomas Drummond (Chemical Engineering)
- Secretary: Michael McNamee (Mathematics)
- Treasurer: Rory Hulatt (Chemistry)
- Public Relations Manager: Nathan Smith (PPE)
- Public Relations Manager: Abbie Ellis-Saunders (Economics)
- Logistics: Niall Moore (Nursing)
- Logistics: Jonny Kennedy (Physics)
- Kit Manager: George Kelly (Architecture)
- Fundraising: Ross Taylor (History & Politics)
- Fundraising: Taha Mirza (Dentistry)
- Captain: Vikki Wallace
- Secretary: Emily Sampson-Barnes (Geography)
- Treasurer: Emily Romeril (Philosophy & Politics)
- Public Relations Manager: Lucy Burrows (Microbiology)
- Kit Manager: Ellé McMaster (Law & Spanish)
- Logistics: Émer Cafolla (Nursing)
- Social Secretary: Ella Brogan (Medicine)
- Fundraising: Susie Megahey (Teaching)
- Gareth Gray (Software Development)
- Thomas Moore (Maths & Physics)
- Ed Wilson (Pharmacy)
- Émer Cafolla (Nursing)
- Angnes Coaker (Mathmatics)
- Nadine Keightley (Business Management)